11 April 2007

Lesson number 1 of how *not* to hunt heads

Today is a busy day at the office. Hell, recently *every* day is a busy day at the office. Anyways, I was busy when I answered the phone in my usual grumpy tone. I am allowed to be grumpy on the phone since I am not phone-trained. Phone training is like nappy training, if successful nobody can tell if you are pissed. Anyways, I answered in dutch of course and the following conversation ensued. I transcribe it for your enjoyment. It helps me remember how stupid people are.

"BBSA met Gertjan Filarski"
"Hi, I am *insert unpronouncable name here* and I am looking for a junior accountmanager." the girl said in indian english.
"Sure, may I ask what for?"
"Hmmm... yes of course I am searching for a junior account-manager for a position at my customer's new company headquarters in Haarlem. So I am calling companies in the neighbourhood."
Dead silence... "Excuse me?"
"I am a headhunter."
"Just to get this straight... you want me to pass you through to someone here so you can offer him or her a new job?"
"Yes."
"Will you be really amazed if I tell you that we are not going to co-operate in this?"
"Well..."
"But I really *do* appreciate your frankness though! I wish all our calls would be so clear."
"I understand. But I am also looking for people to staff the helpdesk. Could you instead pass me through to your helpdesk?"
"Hm... will you be really disappointed if that answer was 'no' too?"
"I must say you are not really helpful..."
"I guess headhunters are not the most popular people around here... good bye."
"Good bye it was nice talking to you."

At least she scored cookie points for honesty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home