23 December 2006

Life in the fast lane

My post of this morning... blogger wouldnt post!

Taking a-do-nothing-day today. Listening to Nina Simone while playing around with the tons of pictures I took in Languedoc, France last October. You can watch them here...

Last weeks were quite busy with work and study and stuff so I'm getting a bit tired, ah well, nothing new there. Lots of weird stuff happening too. Most weird encounter was in Leiden last Tuesday. I was just walking along minding my own business when suddenly a man rushed up to me and told me 'Watch out! For the Israelites are coming!' and he was gone before I was able to make a witty remark. Which is a pity.

Finished this semester with an exam in 'Early Christian History and Philosophy' which I think I made well enough. Next semester also proves to get really interesting. After classes paleography I signed up to assist one of my teachers in his translation of the correspondence of Duke Jan IV of Brabant with his rebellious subjects in Brussels and Leuven. Jan IV was finally kicked out by the population in a general vote of no confidence (which seem to be more effective in the second half of the 15th century than our common era...) setting an example by which the Staten Generaal kicked out Philips II in the late 16th century and by doing so creating The Netherlands. Jan IV was finally able to get back after making serious concessions. Anyways, all his correspondence has survived and has never been translated or published into modern Dutch and English... and I am going to assist in changing that! :)

Also very cool is me signing up for a course of three weeks in Rome. Problem is that there are only 10 spots for students of all dutch universities. I have the advantage that they asked for a list of courses and grades to make a choice. Nearly all my courses are in medieval and ancient religious history and passed with flying colors. So that shouldn't really be the problem, all I need is luck. If you can't find me during February I'll be in Rome!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, didnt check your journal for a while and there's tons of posts!

Congrats on making your exams!

08 January, 2007 17:05  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home