29 December 2006

The Gathering, 27th December, Tilburg 013.

On wednesdaynight I went with Mark to watch 'The Gathering' playing in Tilburg at 013 (the late 'Noorderlicht'). Their second album 'Mandylion' really had me hooked in 1996 but I lost track of them after 'Nighttime Birds'. There were rumors they had broken up so I never thought about them much, although I still listened to Mandylion. Early December I accidentally found their website; to my amazement they were still recording and performing. So I called Mark we went on the 'third day of christmas' and watched what they were doing these days.

The Gathering has a knack for doing what others do not. They are masters of mixing musical styles. It is simply amazing to see them mixing trance and trippop with gothic metal. They call it triprock and it really sounds very cool. Combine this music with the haunting voice of Anneke van Giersbergen and you got me falling in love. I mean they do something *new* while bands like 'Within Temptation' know a trick and keep doing it. I like Within Temptation because I like the trick. Still, The Gathering keeps surprising you and I simply am a sucker for surprises.

The mood at 013 was excellent. We were really amazed we never had a security check or pat down or whatever. I always consiciously empty my pockets before going to any concert but in Tilburg nobody ever shook me down. The hall was small but crowded, drinks were served at the bar and the public was very friendly. Well the entire public minus one idiot who ordered me away because he couldnt see anything. Mark and me are both about 2m tall but neither of us is going to exchange a perfect spot for the hundred or so other people who happen to be smaller than us. I mean before we know it we are standing at the back and not seeing anything. Besides nobody really bosses me around to do anything so I told him (nicely) to come earlier next time. All in all the crowd and the band interacted as friends. The band had crafted a special gift of tape and toiletrolls and plastic cups for a fan who had turned 40 that very day. After the concert people climbed on stage to hug them and stuff. The relaxed mood really helped the show itself. The Gathering is really one of the very few bands I know who perform live as good as on record and sometimes even better. Consider the difficult vocals and this really becomes an incredible accomplishment.

So to sum up, The Gathering is back into my top 5 of favourite bands and I will certainly go and watch them more often.

2 Comments:

Blogger Claudio Timber said...

The Gathering is really one of the very few bands I know who perform live as good as on record and sometimes even better. Consider the difficult vocals and this really becomes an incredible accomplishment. Incassobureau (3x)

07 January, 2013 12:14  
Blogger Claudio Timber said...

The Gathering is really one of the very few bands I know who perform live as good as on record and sometimes even better. Consider the difficult vocals and this really becomes an incredible accomplishment. Incassobureau (3x)

07 January, 2013 12:44  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home