09 May 2008

A book without verbs

Ok, I confess I haven't read the book. And I won't. Found this on a blog somewhere:

Le Train de Nulle Part (The Train From Nowhere) is a 233-page French novel written by Michel Thaler. It is written without a single verb.

Thaler said this about verbs: "The verb is like a weed in a field of flowers. You have to get rid of it to allow the flowers to grow and flourish. Take away the verbs and the language speaks for itself."

More here...

Rrrriightt... to me it feels like saying: "wooot! see me! what I accomplished!"
About as useful as building a boat from lolipopsticks... oh wait that's been done too...

Nah seriously, cultivated literary gardening is called poetry. I can understand writing a poem without verbs. Poetry is about limiting, cultivating, harnessing words to create something beautiful. I could understand that. However, writing a 200 page novel like that, is stg you dont want to force on any reader. Period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home